Originally constructed in 1855, based on plans by architect Joseph Reed, the building remained with only a single southern wing until the turn of the century. In 1914 a referendum was held to decide whether to move town hall to another site on Moorabool Street (the former Geelong Grammar site). This was defeated. By 1917 the eastern and northern wings of the building were completed. This image was taken soon after the completion of the building.