Painted black enamel metal chest, thought to be the original lock box used by William Weire, the first Town Clerk of Geelong. It was used to store important documents such as early leases and agreements.
Tricorn ornately styled and finished in black velvet with woven details and ostrich feathers. Formal clothing was regular practice by mayor and councillors for many events throughout the municipality. Such formalities continued for over a century.
This album was compiled from 1872 to 1896 by John Raddenberry, the second curator of the Geelong Botanic Gardens. This 235-page volume contains an impressive collection of pressed fern (botanical) specimens from across the world. Raddenberry was heavily involved in the emerging horticulture scene in Victoria and the book is symbolic of this new pastime and the fern craze that gripped the State. Photos courtesy of Geelong Heritage Centre.
Presented to Dan-Dan-Nook, Wadawurrung man by the Comunn Na Feinne Society, 1860 the gorget is inscribed “KING DAN-DAN-NOOK” Best Runner Geelong 1860. Photo used with permission of Wadawurrung Traditional Owners.
These robes are thought to be the original ones purchased by Geelong Town Mayor Robert de Bruce Johnstone as he was preparing to receive Prince Alfred, Duke of Edinburgh, during his visit to Geelong in 1867. Formal dress by the mayor was regular practice for nearly a century.
This trowel was presented to the Corporation of Geelong by Joseph Reed architect and Builders William Allen &William Cakebread on the occasion of the laying of the foundation stone of Geelong Town Hall on 9 April 1855. It was presented to William Kingston Baylie, Mayor of Geelong.